RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DRY SKIN
- Bathe daily using lukewarm water preferably at bedtime – avoid HOT or COLD water.
- Do NOT vigorously scrub with a washcloth, sponge, or brush. RUBBING = SCRATCHING.
- A mild, fragrance free, cleanser should be used (such as Cetaphil or Cetaphil Restorederm) to minimize the drying effect.
- REDUCE bathing time to less than 10 minutes. Do NOT use bubble bath, colognes, perfumes sprays, powders etc. on the skin.
- After bathing. PAT the skin dry with a towel gently. Then immediately apply moisturizer (within 3 minutes). If using a medicated cream or ointment, use the medication first, then the moisturizer.
- Use moisturizers at least TWICE a day to the whole body, once after bathing to ‘lock-in” moisture. Ointments are better than creams, which are better than lotions. We recommend petroleum jelly (i.e., Vaseline, Aquaphor) as an ointment and Aveeno, CeraVe, Cetaphil, Eucerin, or Vanicream for their creams.
- Prescription topical medications should be applied to the affected areas until smooth. Call your doctor if there NO improvement noted after 2 weeks of use.
- Use a small amount of unscented laundry products such as All-free, Cheer-free, Dreft, or Purex. You can also double rinse clothes after washing. Avoid fabric softeners & dryer sheets.
- Do not wear tight or rough clothing. Wool clothing and new unwashed clothes can be irritating. Cotton is best.
- Keep the temperature and humidity in the home fairly constant. Use a humidifier or vaporizer in the winter. Remember to keep it clean or molds may spread throughout the humidified area.
- Keep fingernails clean and short. Scratching can make the rash worse or cause infection.
***FOR FOOD ALLERGY PATIENT: We recommend skin care products that do not contain food ingredients (i.e. CeraVe or Vanicream). Patients with food allergy should always read labels for the presence of food ingredients.
***Sun protection recommendations: any sun block (not sunscreen) that is titanium dioxide or zinc oxide based (i.e. Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 30 or Total Block Cotz SPF 58).
***ONLY IF DIRECTED – BLEACH BATHS – 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach (household bleach) in a full tub of water (approx 40 gallons). Repeat 2-3 times weekly for 10-15 minutes or as prescribed. (Do not use if there are many open areas or breaks in the skin.)
Dry skin (click here for PDF)